[wplug] initrd questions

Rick Reynolds rick at rickandviv.net
Mon May 9 23:32:21 EDT 2005

I'm running Debian on a laptop.  I've recently patched my 2.6.9 kernel
to include bootsplash (www.bootsplash.org).  This required adding an
initrd to my setup for the first time.  The initrd has nothing more in
it than the bootsplash stuff.

I was looking at the suspend2 project (www.suspend2.net) because I
haven't gotten the regular 2.6.x kernel hibernation stuff to work.  You
can compile the stuff into your kernel or you can make them modules.  If
you use modules, you need to use an initrd.  I don't care one way or the
other, so I guessed compiling it into my kernel would be simpler.

But there's this section in the instructions as well:

<swsusp2 howto>
Using an initrd with Software Suspend 2 is possible. You can either
compile Software Suspend 2 as modules or into the kernel, but you MUST
edit your linuxrc (or init) script to contain the line

    echo > /proc/software_suspend/do_resume

BEFORE the script mounts your filesystem. If you do not, you will most
likely suffer from filesystem corruption. You have been warned.
</swsusp2 howto>

This leads me to believe that if you have an initrd at all, you must
follow this instruction.  But I don't know enough about initrd images to
know if that's actually the case.

Any wisdom for me?

Thanks,
Rick Reynolds
--
 Never work for a sawmill that's so behind that they don't have time to
sharpen the blades. -- Will Hayes, Software Engineering Institute