[wplug] OT -- Dvorak keyboard

Patrick Wagstrom pwagstro at andrew.cmu.edu
Mon Jul 25 13:31:45 EDT 2005

On Mon, 2005-07-25 at 11:46 -0400, Teodorski, Chris wrote:
> Does anyone know of any local retailers that sell (or will order) Dvorak keyboards?
>
> I'm very curious to learn Dvorak (any maybe save my hands).
>

> Thanks,
>
> Chris

A few weeks ago Slashdot had an article about DVZine.org[1], it's a
little thing that you can print out to explain the Dvorak layout and
some helpful hints.

Then I used ABCD - A Basic Course in Dvorak[2] to learn to type with it.

As for getting support for it in Linux, I just the keyboard layout
applet in GNOME (right click on panel->add to panel->keyboard
indicator).  A little "USA" should appear on your panel.  Right click on
it->keyboard preferences->layouts->add->Dvorak.  Then just click on the
USA/Dvo to toggle the active window between standard and Dvorak layouts.

As a side note, I was having some massive problems with my hands, which
is why I tried Dvorak.  While it might have helped out some (mainly
because I was just slower with it), I found that purchasing a good
keyboard for my laptop did even more good.

--Patrick

[1] http://www.dvzine.org/
[2] http://gigliwood.com/abcd/abcd.html