[wplug] OT -- Dvorak keyboard

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Mon Jul 25 12:56:20 EDT 2005

Cameron McBride said:
> On 7/25/05, Teodorski, Chris <teodorski at ppg.com> wrote:
>>
>> Does anyone know of any local retailers that sell (or will order) Dvorak
>> keyboards?
>>
>> I'm very curious to learn Dvorak (any maybe save my hands).
>
> perhaps worth mentioning: you don't *need* a Dvorak keyboard to use a
> Dvorak layout.  It's an easy switch (software wise), and you could
> print out a layout from somewhere on the internet (google for um,
> there are lots).

Yes.  I seem to remember a Dvorak tutorial for Linux that gave you all
the steps necesary to set up the key layout in software, and how to make
stickers to stick on the keys.

Please keep us updated as to how this experiment goes.  I've heard mixed
reviews about Dvorak keyboards.  I've seen a few folks who claimed it
saved their wrists, as well as many experts who claim it makes no
difference.  I'll be interested to hear your experience.

(as an aside, I had a friend several years back who had mild carpal
tunnel (not bad enough for surgury yet, but required him to take special
care) ... he started taking calcium suppliments and the pain went away!
I haven't spoken to him in years, so I don't know what the long-term
effects of the calcium were, but I thought I'd pass it on)

As always, I am not a doctor.  Anything in this email that looks remotely
like medical advice should be assumed to be quackery.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies