[wplug] game server network requirements?

adam stokes adam at everywherestreet.com
Fri Jan 21 09:33:15 EST 2005

this is just babble but hey

a few years ago a tier 3 DSL was hundreds cheaper than a T1....now it
depends on where you are
T1 starts from certain telco offices and then you pay by the
foot.....for me its $1000 a month compared to $300 for the same
potential with DSL (remembering that i overbuy the DSL since its
bandwidth is theoretical)

i have heard of T1's for as little as $260....but i am not sure that is
a local thing

colo's are less money and burstable
but you might find one with a deal that you have to ship the server
to....
some of those are fine.....i am going to send off a pair of 1U's to
serverlogistics(.com) when i saturate my DSL
and i have talked to the guy and a friend of mine that moved out there
so i am not too scared

cogent has a datacenter in pittsburgh
http://www.lightreading.com/document.asp?doc_id=29039
i met two of the guys that got assimilated with the datacenter and they
were cool
downside is that  they are going to sell you a rack at a time for $1000
a month
http://www.psi.net/

  last year the psi division was significantly less of a deal than
cogents own...i would have to get out last years papers to know if one
went up or the other went down

also....there are places that rent virtual servers for gaming, but i
dont have any idea at all what the quality would be

hope something in there was useful
-adam