[wplug] game server network requirements?

Zachary Uram netrek at gmail.com
Fri Jan 21 08:35:32 EST 2005

Some of my friends and I are considering each donating a nominal amout
each month to run our own game server for a game that we play, netrek,
and I'm not sure how much this would cost. I was told by a netop the
server should be able to provide a steady 1 MB/sec upstream rate and
same for downstream though that can vary a bit more. A typical game
has 16 players with 8 to 16 observers. Game uses UDP by default but
some users forced to use TCP. Would 1 MB/s SDSL be sufficient? What is
price difference between that and a T1 line? What about frame relay? I
imagine that is much pricier. We can run server ourselves or do remote
admin through co-located farm - whichever is cheapeast!

Zach