[wplug] cheap DSL in Pittsburgh?

Brent M. Rust rust at lucasware.com
Thu Jan 20 16:15:23 EST 2005

Like I said earlier, Wireless Broadband is available, through PulseNet.

You must also remember, it's not all over (the Pittsburgh area) because
Comcast, AT&T, Verizon, Adelphia and others are huge conglomerates and
they can buy products at such a low cost, they don't let the small guys
compete.

It costs PulseNet (and most likely other smaller ISP's) several hundred
dollars for customer premise equipment. Compare that with the big guys
that can buy millions or at the least tens of thousands of pieces for
less than a hundred dollars. You do the math.

It comes down to the consumer, who wants CHEAP DSL IN PITTSBURGH, you
get what you ask for.
It takes tons of money, tight contracts and people willing to pay a
little more than the big guys in order to get choices.

You must also realize that some carriers (phone and cable/TV) are
protected by federal law and other companies cannot compete in certain
markets. Pittsburgh has some protected carriers, and no one can move
into that area. Townships have contracts that allow certain carriers in,
and keep others out.

Don't forget the advertising issue too. The big guys can use adverts
because they have millions of dollars to do just that. The locals would
buy more and better equipment with the millions of dollars, if it had
it. Most people go with Verizon or Comcast because they see it on TV or
hear it on radio. PulseNet uses word of mouth mostly. I can't say for
the other locals. There's always the yellow pages, which too are
expensive.

So, before you jump on the "no choice" bandwagon, there are mitigating
factors.

~Brent