[wplug] Re: Q: how to make image copy of disc to CD/DVD?

Brandon Kuczenski brandon at 301south.net
Thu Jan 13 20:03:11 EST 2005

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005, Don Shepherd wrote:

> I want a disc image.  I want to be able to restore the entire bootable disc,
> after I screw it up!
>
> I will try parted.

I was just recently looking into making use of a magnetic tape drive I've
gotten for this purpose.  The following page:

http://berdmann.dyndns.org/zwicky/testdump.doc.html

documents the performance of various disk copying utilities in
pathological cases (extremely long filenames, lots of filesystem holes,
files changing, getting added, deleted, changed into directories
mid-backup, etc).

The author didn't test parted, but she came to the conclusion that of the
tools she did test, dump was best by a long shot, on account of it working
on a lower level of abstraction (the disk) than the data itself.  She also
says, "These results are in most cases stunningly appalling."

-Brandon