[wplug] Re: Q: how to make image copy of disc to CD/DVD?

Jonathan S Billings billings at negate.org
Thu Jan 13 17:44:40 EST 2005

Don Shepherd wrote:
> I want a disc image.  I want to be able to restore the entire bootable
> disc, after I screw it up!

It's rather pointless to try to preserve the "bootable" part of the
disc, when it is much easier to recreate that after the restore.
Regardless of whether you use lilo or grub, there will be a single
command that you run to push the new boot blocks on to the disk.

Anyway, even if you do preserve the bootable part of the disk, there's
no guarantee that you're going to be able to use it on a new disk,
particularly if it isn't exactly the same disk geometry (different
model, difference size, etc.)  I've found that even with Ghost, which is
supposed to be able to preserve the bootloader, I've had to go in with a
rescue disk and re-run grub or lilo to fix the bootloader.

What you really want to do is preserve the *data* on the disk.

--
Jonathan S. Billings <billings at negate.org>