[wplug] [wplug-announce] GUM: User Mode Linux - January 15 CMU NSH 1507

Beth Lynn bethlynn at wplug.org
Thu Jan 13 19:37:55 EST 2005

Hello,

Western PA Linux Users Group will be hosting a General Users Meeting
(GUM) featuring User Mode Linux (UML). It will be held on this Saturday
January 15, 2005 from 10am to 2 pm  at Carnegie Mellon University,
Newell Simon Hall 1507. This meeting is free and open to the general
public.

Please visit our new Maps and Directions page
http://www.wplug.org/pages/wplugmap/
Please note that our phone number is currently 412 268 7564
If you've never been here before make sure you print out the
directions!

GUM TOPIC: "User-Mode Linux (UML)"
Speakers: Ryan Brown
Host: David Ostrosky
CoHost: Bill Moran

Topic:
User-Mode Linux provides you with a virtual machine (much like VMWare but
free) which allows you to turn a physical server into multiple virtual
servers. UML allows you to have a testing environment for development
without putting your main Linux operating system at risk. UML stores the
entire file system for each guest in 1 file that can easily be moved from
machine to machine (or stored on a SAN/NAS) allowing easy backup of an
entire system. RAM, CPU time, disk space, kernel build, and bandwidth can
each be fully controlled to provide restrictions on the resources each UML
guest may use. UML (both host and all guests) work only with Linux
distributions (RH, Mandrake, Gentoo, Debian, Slackware, etc). It is not
compatible with BSD, Windows, or MacOS.

Schedule:
* Doors will open at 10am to NSH 1507
* Coffee and Donut Hour 10am-11am
* "User-Mode Linux" talk 11am-Noon
* Geeks Eating Pizza Noon-ish - 1pm
* Organizational meeting
   	- Bylaws Committe 1pm in NSH 1505
http://www.wplug.org/pipermail/wplug-plan/2005-January/001183.html
* General Socialization 1pm-2pm in NSH 1507

See you there!

Beth Lynn

Upcoming Events...
GUM January 15 User-Mode Linux