[wplug] Laptop disk access question

Teodorski, Chris teodorski at ppg.com
Wed Aug 24 14:32:18 EDT 2005

I'm struggling with how to explain this so please be gentle if I am not clear.

I have Ubuntu installed on my Dell laptop and the drive sounds like it is spinning VERY frequently.  When I hear the drive spinning, "stuff" I'm doing in X seems to hang -- but only for a split second and then things are normal -- until the next noise from the drive.

However when I installed FreeBSD on the laptop I did not have the same issue -- which suggests that FreeBSD interacted with the drive differently in some way.

Does anyone have any idea what I need to do to stop this from happening in Linux?  I'm wondering if this is DMA related and if so, how do I fix it?

Chris