[wplug] Laptop disk access question

David Ostroske eksortso at gmail.com
Wed Aug 24 14:45:04 EDT 2005

On 8/24/05, Teodorski, Chris <teodorski at ppg.com> wrote:
> I'm struggling with how to explain this so please be gentle if I am not clear.
>
> I have Ubuntu installed on my Dell laptop and the drive sounds like it is spinning VERY frequently.  When I hear the drive spinning, "stuff" I'm doing in X seems to hang -- but only for a split second and then things are normal -- until the next noise from the drive.
>
> However when I installed FreeBSD on the laptop I did not have the same issue -- which suggests that FreeBSD interacted with the drive differently in some way.
>
> Does anyone have any idea what I need to do to stop this from happening in Linux?  I'm wondering if this is DMA related and if so, how do I fix it?

Hmm, well, my first impulse is that your hard drive is thrashing. What
is your system load?

I don't know much about FreeBSD, or how much memory it needs to work
with. But my guess is that it doesn't take as much as Ubuntu, hence no
need to be continually accessing the hard drive.

Correct me if I'm wrong, folks.

--
David Ostroske <eksortso at gmail.com>