[wplug] cyrus-imapd / postfix / ???

Christopher DeMarco cmd at alephant.net
Fri Aug 19 12:47:50 EDT 2005

On Fri, Aug 19, 2005 at 11:36:51AM -0400, ian wrote:

> The reason I want to stop the emails is that I believe sendmail does
> not even exist on my system...  It seems each time I install postfix
> it removes sendmail. This is why I am confused that the beautiful

Postfix is intended to be a drop-in replacement for Sendmail, so it
provides (as Jonathan points out) sendmail wrappers to maintain
compatibility

> behind the emails.  I know you are all very busy and very stressed

Eh, not so much.  If we were all that busy we wouldn't have taken the
time to hassle you so much, right?

As for your attempts to solve the problem, you need to clearly
identify what the heck you're trying to accomplish; only once you've
got a clear goal can we help you get there (and indeed without one you
stand a good chance of getting somewhere you don't want to be,
especially on your own.)

What's Cyrus for?  Are you hosting more than one domain?  Do email
users have UN*X login accounts, or are all the usernames stored in a
database somewhere?  Etc. etc. etc...

If you've been blindly flipping switches and pushing buttons for a
while, you might do well to remove all mail configuration and start
over - this time keep a journal (on paper!) completely detailing every
step you take.  I know it sounds lame, but it *will* help you
backtrack and/or figure out where you went wrong.

Debian should be pretty good about removing config files (it's been a
while since I last used it), but when in doubt reinstall your box.

And no, we wouldn't ever laugh at you in malice, only when you do
something funny like fall down the stairs.  UN*X/Internet communities
tend to ISOLATE people they don't like - that we're poking fun at you
is a GOOD sign - idiots get ignored.

Try this:

Christopher DeMarco <cmd at alephant.net>
Alephant Systems (http://alephant.net)