[wplug] cyrus-imapd / postfix / ???

Chester R. Hosey Chester.Hosey at gianteagle.com
Fri Aug 19 13:19:01 EDT 2005

On Fri, 2005-08-19 at 11:36 -0400, ian wrote:

> P.S. You guys are damned insane, btw - especially this guy: Chester R.
> Hosey

Yeah, I'm a bit nuts, but I figured you had bigger hopes than just
getting cron to stop nagging you.

Let's start by defining your goal -- what are you trying to do?

Do you just want a simple, basic, no-frills mail server, or do you have
more specific requirements (like running a mailing list, etc.)? Are
people logging in (via SSH, say) and checking mail with a client
directly on the server?

Are you hoping to allow IMAP? POP? Web mail? Is there a specific program
you'd like to be able to use in order to check email? What program do
you use now to check mail? Are you happy with that choice?

I'm glad to help, as are many others here, and please don't feel bad
about posting.

I could have just said, "Edit /etc/cron.d/sendmail, comment out the line
mentioning sendmail, run /etc/init.d/cron restart, and you're done." The
problem is that you aren't really getting what you want, which is a
fully functioning, properly-configured mail server.

If you cobble over the problem, you're going to be burned later. If you
fix it correctly, now, it'll last a bit longer, especially across a
dist-upgrade.

Let us know what you're looking to do, and we can help you find a way to
get there.

Chet