[wplug] RPM question - How to make it use a newer lib file than it's expecting

Philip Reiche Phillip.Reiche at pl.netl.doe.gov
Thu Oct 14 09:42:00 EDT 2004

Hi,
I'm attempting to install mysql v5.0 at home. Rpm barfs and spits out a
warning that it can't find libcrypto.so.0.9.6 and libssl.so.0.9.6. I
checked /lib and the reason for this is I already have the new and
improved rev 0.9.7a of both. Digging through the fine manual, paging
through rpm.org, and asking our friend google so far reveals no way
around this, other than stripping out the 0.9.7 packages, installing the
older 0.9.6, installing mysql, and then upgrading to 0.9.7 again. Or I
could just just use the --nodeps switch but that seems like asking for
trouble down the road when things aren't linked right.  This seems like
something RPM should be able to figure out on it's own, but darned if I
can find the switch to make it do it.

Beth Lynn suggests  ln -s newlibfile olderlibfilenam, and I'll try that
when I get home tonight. I expect to see checksum errors when I do this,
but it's worth a shot.

Any other suggestions, in case this doesn't work?

Phil