[wplug] RPM question - How to make it use a newer lib file than it's expecting

Brian Sammon wplug-list at brisammon.fastmail.fm
Thu Oct 14 13:34:57 EDT 2004

> I'm attempting to install mysql v5.0 at home. Rpm barfs and spits out a
> warning that it can't find libcrypto.so.0.9.6 and libssl.so.0.9.6. I
> checked /lib and the reason for this is I already have the new and
> improved rev 0.9.7a of both. Digging through the fine manual, paging
> through rpm.org, and asking our friend google so far reveals no way
> around this, other than stripping out the 0.9.7 packages, installing the
> older 0.9.6, installing mysql, and then upgrading to 0.9.7 again. Or I

In Debian, there's an "oldlibs" collection of packages that contains a package
of libssl0.9.6 that you can install next to libssl0.9.7.  Are you sure that
Redhat/Fedora/WhateverYoureUsing doesn't have a similar thing?

But no, libssl 0.9.7 won't serve as a substitute for 0.9.6.  I'm pretty sure
it's not backwards compatible.