[wplug] BIOS limit HD size???

Goldwyn Rodrigues goldwyn_r at myrealbox.com
Mon Jun 28 02:49:23 EDT 2004

> I have an older box working as a file server in my house.  I use it for
backups and shared files between all my other boxes.  The box is a P100
era machine with two 3GB hard drives running Debian Woody.  I would LOVE
to buy an new HD to put in the machine, but I seem to remember something
about the Mobo or the BIOS limiting the size of the HD.

>  1)  Is this true, or am I just loosing my mind??
It is true. The limitation your P100 will pose is somewhere around 8.4 GB.

> 2)  If it is true is there any work arounds or fixes?

Yes, Linux (kernel versions 2.4 and above) are capable of reading disk geometry directly from the HDD controller rather than the BIOS. So if you install Linux there would not be any problem. If however, you wish to install other OS such Windoze, there are software which write the disk geometry in the MBR after which windoze is able recognize your disk properly. This software is available with your HDD vendor. check the website of the product.

  3)  Would a BIOS flash fix the problem?  Would a BIOS flash mess up my
      box?  Would I even be able to find the BIOS flash for such an old
      box?

The solution is a little risky, but is viable.

--
Goldwyn :o)