[wplug] NFS mount problem

Gentgeen gentgeen at linuxmail.org
Tue Jun 29 01:57:58 EDT 2004

Comments posted below within text --

On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 15:36:46 -0400
Michael Skowvron <skowvron at verizon.net> wrote:

> Gentgeen wrote:
> > Jun 27 13:22:20 linuxbox kernel: nfs: server 192.168.0.10 not
> > responding, still trying
> > Jun 27 13:22:20 linuxbox kernel: nfs: server 192.168.0.10 not
> > responding, still trying
> > Jun 27 13:24:04 linuxbox kernel: nfs: task 17523 can't get a request
> > slot
>
> Kernel NFS bug or maybe a network problem. The NFS server (kingpin)
> has stopped answering the client (linuxbox). Linux box keeps sending
> requests that timeout and eventually the NFS request is aborted. A
> hadware-related network problem might cause this if packets are
> getting lost or corrupted. Lost packets might leave the NFS server in
> a state where it's waiting for a response that the client believes
> that it already sent -- deadlocking them.
>
> What distribtion is running on each system?

all 3 run Debian Woody.

> What is the exact kernel version on each system? 'uname -a'
> Are you using a distribution kernel or did you build your own?

The results of 'uname -a' are --
linuxbox 2.4.18-386 #2 Sun Apr 14 10:38:08 EST 2002 i586 unknown
kingpin 2.2.20 #1 Sat Apr 20 11:45:28 EST 2002 i586 unknown
thinkpad 2.4.18.thinkpad-april12 #1 Mon Apr 12 10:20:59 EDT 2004 i586

only thinkpad has a DIY kernel

> What's in the syslog of kingpin during the timeout?

absolutly (sp?) nothing at the time or afterwards

> Also check for kernel NFS/RPC messages (/var/log/kernel/ on
> RedHat-type system).

only a repeat of what was mentioned above

> When the NFS gets stuck, does other network traffic work okay? I.E.
> Can you still ssh into the server?

Yes, no problem with any other network traffic

> If all 3 systems are running the exact same distribution and kernel
> and you are only seeing the problem between linuxbox and kingpin; then
> it is probably a hardware-specific problem. Either it's what I
> described earler, or linuxbox may much faster than the laptop and able
> to stress the server into this failure.

I think I may need to trade out the card one day this week.