[wplug] Mandrake 10.0, LILO, and booting to Windows

Vanco, Don don.vanco at agilysys.com
Mon Jun 28 08:15:18 EDT 2004

wplug-bounces+don.vanco=agilysys.com at wplug.org <> scribbled on :
> I just installed Mandrake 10.0.  It's on hdb and my old Windows
> install is on hda.
>
> With each of my other Mandrake installs (8.2 and 9.1) LILO
> would have a selection for Windows in the loader.  This is
> what was in /etc/lilo.conf on my last install (9.1):
>
> other=/dev/hda1
>         label="windows"
>         table=/dev/hda
>
> However, this was not in lilo.conf in this install.  So I cut
> and pasted it from my backup of my previous install and tried
> it.  When I selected "windows" from the menu on boot, it gave
> me an "Invalid System Disk, Press Any Key" error.
>
> Any suggestions?

Are you sure that the device is, in fact, being seen as hda?

Possibilities:
1) You (or Mandrake) nuked your Windoze partition
2) The BIOS -vs- kernel perceived geometry for the disk is not the same
under mandrake 10 as it was under 9

	What do you see when you look at the partitioning? (e.g. fdisk
-l /dev/had)  Check the kernel and BIOS geometry numbers.  I do not
think the bootloader itself is the issue.

Don