[wplug] LaTeX?

Brandon Kuczenski b at 301south.net
Thu Jan 22 17:54:52 EST 2004

> If you haven't already figured it out, LaTeX is part of teTeX.
> I have a RH9 setup with the following rpms:
> tetex-fonts-1.0.7-66
> tetex-latex-1.0.7-66
> xmltex-20000118-13
> tetex-1.0.7-66
> tetex-dvips-1.0.7-66
> jadetex-3.12-9
> passivetex-1.21-2
> tetex-afm-1.0.7-66
> tetex-xdvi-1.0.7-66
> These all came from RH when I told it to install TeX.

Okay, so here's the deal.  1 -

Hold on. 0 - My laptop wakes up from sleep normally now. (rebuilt the
kernel with a special "CONFIG_wake_thinkpad_from_sleep" setting)

1 - I have latex (it came with teTeX), and I installed ghostscript and
gsview and they work, after a substantial bit of sleuthing to get gs to
compile. (gsview was an rpm).  I can latex and then dvips. BUT...

2 - It's incomplete (Document page 12, pdf page 26 of the "LaTeX Primer"
lists a whole bunch of packages that are supposed to be there and aren't.
it also chastizes me as a lazy sysop because I didn't create a file called
local.tex, but doesn't say how I should go about doing that)

3 - So, I can either fix the from-source version or wipe it all and
install the RPMs, which are apparently included with Redhat 9.

I don't know the proper operating assumptions to use Linux and that option
never occurred to me until I talked to this board.  I feel like I'm in no
position to determine the best way to fix this problem.  And future
problems.  Should I just assume that everything I install should be an
RPM?  If so, is it safe to assume that
% cd /usr/local
% rm -rf teTeX
is sufficient [plus striking it from my path]?

I'm looking for pedagogic advice here.

-Brandon