[wplug] LaTeX?

Kuzman Ganchev kuzman at sccs.swarthmore.edu
Fri Jan 23 13:16:22 EST 2004

On Thu, Jan 22, 2004 at 05:54:52PM -0500, Brandon Kuczenski wrote:
> Should I just assume that everything I install should be an
> RPM?  If so, is it safe to assume that
> % cd /usr/local
> % rm -rf teTeX
> is sufficient [plus striking it from my path]?

I don't know too much about redhat, or where tetex installs things when
you compile it (it might have a "make uninstall" if you installed it
with "make install").

> I'm looking for pedagogic advice here.

The pedagogic advice is that you should install things the way your
distribution wants you to: if Debain then apt, if red hat then rpms. The
reason is that it makes maintainance easier.

Having said that, it's not always possible to do that: sometimes there's
a program that's not prepackaged (or the version you need isn't), so you
have to bulid it from source -- that's OK, just more work in terms of
keeping it up to date, and making sure you know where it's installing
things on your system (with most packages there's an easy way to check,
and the package maintainers spend a lot of effort making sure things
aren't installed in the Wrong place).

Kuzman