[wplug] Pittsburgh DSL questions

Brandon Kuczenski brandon at 301south.net
Sun Feb 15 18:37:55 EST 2004

> I will be moving to Observatory Hill in Pittsburgh this summer and plan
> on getting a dsl/sdsl connection on which I will be running a Debian
> home email and web server and eventually, most likely, my own DNS
> server.
>
> I've looked at various ISPs, though I haven't been able to get much
> information on quite a few since I do not yet have a phone number and
> therefore cannot verify availability.
>
> What ISP(s) should I consider and/or avoid at all costs?

I've been with Penn Telecom on their DSL/Dialtone package.  It gets me one
static IP, 512K symmetric, and local phone hookup for "$59.95" (really, my
monthly bills are ~$75).  But they don't have a problem with web hosting
and the techs seem to be reasonably knowledgeable.  Once I called and the
guy started going through his script, and when I said that I was running a
webserver he turned off the script and spoke to me like an adult. (the
problem turned out to be that my landlord had shut off the power, but I
was in California and had no way of knowing).

I don't know whose arm you'd have to twist to get a second IP address.

I'm in Friendship, location-wise.

-brandon