[wplug] Pittsburgh DSL questions

Beth Lynn bethlynn at wplug.org
Sun Feb 15 18:45:57 EST 2004

Hello,

Do NOT go libcom. I was with them for a year of DSL misery.

Here are 10 reasons why...
1. You'd most likely be on their north hills network which is over
subscribed and very susceptible to downtime. Libcom will tell you
they are just about to "upgrade the network in that area" but they
never do.
2. They ask if you are running a "server" that they are given your
"administrator" password so that they can login any time to make
sure you are obeying the terms of service
3. When I called to ask regarding question #2, my call was "escalated"
a few times when I asked, what about ssh, does that count as a server.
Not a soul at Libcom knew what ssh is.
4. Sure, libcom dsl is a deal, if you can live with 3 days to a week
of downtime each month.
5. Your packets will drop left and right. 3% packet loss is the best
you can hope for. The president of Libcom himself told me this is
acceptable.
6. Connection to other sites in Pittsburgh are horrid, especially
Pitt, CMU, PSC.edu, and PSU.
7. When the SQL worm bouncing around, the entire isp was down for
10 days. Libcom's explanation was that they had installed Microsoft
SQL on some laptops that they use for internal business so they
were going to shut down until they got things under control. sheesh!
8. They say they sell SDSL up and down 512 but it never got above
128 for me. One time it got below 28.8K!
9. I sent several emails to support. All where ignored. They don't
answer the phone when they have downtime and if something goes down
during regarding the dsl network during the weekend, oh well, you've
got to wait till Monday 10am. Oh by the way, most of the dsl outages
would occur during the weekend.
10. They constantly blame North Pittsburgh Teleco for their problems
but they refuse to get more specific than that.

I could go on with more but you get the point. Libcom isn't worth it.
If I was given a choice of being a dial in AOL customer or libcom
dsl, I would have to go AOL.

I ended up going with Verizon DSL for the remainder of my time at that
apartment since they were going to get me up and running the quickest
and they didn't charge me for setup or modem. No contracts either.

I am leery of isps who require contracts due to the libcom ordeal.

As far as local isps
I used to have city-net for dial-in and they were good.
Nauticom would never tell me if I qualified for DSL or not.
Telerama is Linux/BSD friendly but the bandwidth slows down when the
kiddies get home from school.
Steel City Telecom is out there but I know nothing about them.
Stargate is now owned by earthlink if I'm not mistaken.

Good luck in your search!

Beth Lynn