[wplug] Pittsburgh DSL questions

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Sun Feb 15 17:51:38 EST 2004

Steven Leach wrote:
> I will be moving to Observatory Hill in Pittsburgh this summer and plan
> on getting a dsl/sdsl connection on which I will be running a Debian
> home email and web server and eventually, most likely, my own DNS server.
>
> I've looked at various ISPs, though I haven't been able to get much
> information on quite a few since I do not yet have a phone number and
> therefore cannot verify availability.
>
> What ISP(s) should I consider and/or avoid at all costs?
>
> I will need two static IP addresses and would prefer a minimum uplink
> and downlink speed of 384K (though if I can get a faster connection
> without going broke......)
>
> Libcom's pricing looks good, but also appears to be excessively
> restrictive.   Any and all commercial activities are banned (should
> never be an issue, but who knows?  Their definition seems extremely
> broad and open to harsh interpretation), "servers that generate high
> volumes of traffic and bandwidth allocations for that residential
> circuit for extended periods of time... will result in the immediate
> disconnection of service without refund".   Again, nothing like that
> should ever be an issue but if they ever decide that I am somehow
> violating any of their rules and flip the switch, my email server will
> suddenly be dead in the water... not good.
>
> Any information/opinions/experiences with Libcom or any other DSL
> providers in Pittsburgh?

Check out city-net: http://www.city-net.com
Locally owned, good people.

I would suggest avoiding any big names, like Verizon or any other national
company, they usually don't have the ability to deal with folks like
you (they may not even have static IPs available)

I don't have any experience or information on Libcom, specifically.

> Anyone know about DSL availability in Observatory Hill?

I don't know about availability in that area.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies