[wplug] talk and xinetd?

Brandon Kuczenski brandon at 301south.net
Tue Aug 3 20:17:30 EDT 2004

> Being a manual kind of person, I'd probably try starting it by hand and see what happens:
> /etc/init.d/talkd start
> where talkd is its own rc script if it has one. That should tell you
> whether the problem lies with xinetd or with talk itself.

Unfortunately, it doesn't have a startup script.

> also consider posting all of the talk file from /etc/xinetd.d/

I'm not going to spend too much time on this, since the box is going to be
replaced shortly anyways.  But here are the relevant files -- maybe I
missed something obvious:

xinetd.conf:

#
# Simple configuration file for xinetd
#
# Some defaults, and include /etc/xinetd.d/

defaults
{
        instances               = 60
        log_type                = SYSLOG authpriv
        log_on_success          = HOST PID
        log_on_failure          = HOST
        cps                     = 25 30
}

includedir /etc/xinetd.d
^D

/etc/xinetd.d/talk:

# default: off
# users on other systems.

service talk
{
        disable = no
        log_type                = FILE /var/log/talkd.log
        log_on_failure          = HOST USERID
        flags                   = IPv4
        socket_type             = dgram
        wait                    = yes
        user                    = nobody
        group                   = tty
        server                  = /usr/sbin/in.talkd

}
^D

-Brandon