[wplug] talk and xinetd?

duncanhutty at comcast.net duncanhutty at comcast.net
Tue Aug 3 18:17:38 EDT 2004

Being a manual kind of person, I'd probably try starting it by hand and see what happens:
/etc/init.d/talkd start
where talkd is its own rc script if it has one. That should tell you whether the problem lies with xinetd or with talk itself.
I don't think it's likely to be a firewall problem because nothing is leaving. Consider proving this by doing:
iptables -A INPUT -p udp --dport 517 -j ACCEPT
iptables -A OUTPUT -p udp --sport 517 -j ACCEPT
just don't leave it that way for long because that's accepting udp 517 from anywhere.
also consider posting all of the talk file from /etc/xinetd.d/
Duncan Hutty