[wplug] Firebird and Java

Sean McCune sean at redhandsoftware.com
Fri Apr 2 17:06:59 EST 2004

I've noticed this problem on linux, but I haven't dug into yet.  Lets
say I start firefox from the command line or menu icon and leave it
running because I want to refer to the page that's up.  Then I run
thunderbird or Evolution to read some mail, and there's URL in an email
that I click on.  It will try and start a new instance of firefox, which
will yield this profile problem.

When I'm forced to do SW development on Windows, I always run WinXP or
Win2K3 in a virtual machine under vmware with a NAT'd network connection
between the VM and the real host OS (linux).  I also install firefox and
thunderbird because I absolutely will not use Outlook and IE for
security reasons.

Under Windows, firefox does not exhibit this problem.  Thunderbird opens
up another firefox instance just fine.  I don't remember mozilla or
galeon exhibiting these problems under linux either.

But, as I said, I haven't delved into it yet.  I've just noted that it
happens to me.

McC