[wplug] rpmpan

Brian Sammon brians+ at cs.cmu.edu
Tue Sep 23 10:41:03 EDT 2003

> yeah, i emailed the guy supporting rpmpan (rpmpan.sourceforge.net) and this
> is what i got back:
>
> <snip>
>     Yes... that's an issue I haven't figured out how I would like to
>     resolve.  It's more or less RH9 specific.
>    =20
>     The simplest solution for RH9 users is to update your perl's include
>     path.  You can set the PERLLIB environment variable, and it'll get
>     prepended to the @INC.  Place that in a script in /etc/profile.d, and
>     you're on the road to happiness.  For your particular case, you'd do
>     "export PERLLIB=3D"/usr/lib/perl5/5.6.1/i386-linux"

Wow... judging by this and what I've looked at on the site, this guy
appears to be somewhat misguided... The idea that you can (or should be
able to) create a single binary RPM (for each module) that works on all
distributions is rather... odd.

And really... It's quite easy to build perl-modules from source, as long
as you've got all the necessary prerequisites working correctly.