[wplug] Q: Digital photography

Vanco, Donald VANCOD at PIOS.com
Mon Sep 22 16:16:44 EDT 2003

DL Shepherd <mailto:dlshepherd at adelphia.net> scribbled on Monday, September
22, 2003 3:16 PM:
> What printer works best for printing pictures?
	If you're serious about photo-quality prints, a dye sublimation type
printer.  Kodak makes a nice one: http://tinyurl.com/o9jo  After that, I am
extremely impressed with H-P's current line - several of which will take
digital media directly with no need for a PeeCee.  They've got a nice one
for $299 - OfficeMax blew them out for $75 - and my brother decided to call
me and tell me the week after the sale... argh!

>What paper should be used?
	Photographic paper.  And ink cartridges.  Also spendy, but that what
it takes for photo quality.

> Are there any tools or best practices on how to keep
> my images organized?
	There are a ton of thumbnail tools out there.  One promising project
called "pornview" never went beyond an initial release.  Take a look over at
Sourceforge for thumbnail tools.
	As far as organizing, it's like any logical order of docs, etc - a
little planning on a scheme is the best way to go.  I go with folders by
date then subject, and always have a "misc" directory for those things too
hard to categorize.

> I was thinking of purchasing an external drive
> with more capacity to store more images online.  My laptop has a USB
> connection. Suggestions on what drives to buy?
	If it's not USB 2.0 don't even bother - it's S-L-O-W.  If it's 2.0,
what I did was buy an enclosure for a standard 3.5" drive on eBay:
http://tinyurl.com/o9ju  It's not bad for the price, but question the amount
of abuse it will take over time.  There are also "self contained" storage
solutions based on laptop drives - but they get spendy....

> How about a CD Burner to store all of my edited images offline.  Any
> suggestions?
	Yes - get one.  Or better yet - DVD.  Whatever you do BACK UP.  I
lost 4 years of digital photos, including the entire photo documentation of
the construction of my first home and 2 trips to Hawaii along with countless
memories of lesser stature.  Back up - CDs are cheap!

Don