[wplug] rpmpan

John Harrold jmh17 at pitt.edu
Mon Sep 22 18:19:39 EDT 2003

Sometime in September Brian Sammon assaulted the keyboard and produced:

| > i'm trying to use rpmpan under redhat 9 and i have a bit of a dilema. under
| > redhat 9, the @INC variable has the following directories:
| >
| Sounds like you downloaded a package intended for some version of Redhat 7.
| I bet if you got a package intended for Redhat 9, the files would be in
| the right place.
| Alternatively, if you get the source to this package and build it
| yourself, it should figure out the correct place to put the files.

yeah, i emailed the guy supporting rpmpan (rpmpan.sourceforge.net) and this
is what i got back:

<snip>
    Yes... that's an issue I haven't figured out how I would like to
    resolve.  It's more or less RH9 specific.

    The simplest solution for RH9 users is to update your perl's include
    path.  You can set the PERLLIB environment variable, and it'll get
    prepended to the @INC.  Place that in a script in /etc/profile.d, and
    you're on the road to happiness.  For your particular case, you'd do
    "export PERLLIB="/usr/lib/perl5/5.6.1/i386-linux"

    I can't really make the archive RH9 specific, since there are still a
    whole lot of perl 5.6 users (without threads, bigfiles, etc), and
    building packages in a perl 5.8 environment would cut them off
    completely.  But Red Hat 9 users run into this problem.  Several
    solutions present themselves, but none that I'm really very happy with,
    as I dislike the idea of maintaining separate trees.

    I don't want my project to turn into a Red Hat or Perl support site, but
    any quick fix ideas you have along these lines that I could just slap
    into the archive or on the FAQ would be appreciated...
</snip>

i was using their apt repository to install cpan modules, but since they
are installing into the old directory and are presumably compiled for an
older version of redhat, i'm going to hold off on this for the moment.

                                               | /"\
 john harrold                                  | \ / ASCII ribbon campaign
      jmh at member.fsf.org                    |  X  against HTML mail
           the most useful idiot               | / \
 What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless,
 whether the mad destruction is brought under the name of totalitarianism or
 the holy name of liberty and democracy?
 --Gandhi
gpg --keyserver keys.indymedia.org --recv-key F65A739E