[wplug] Q: Digital photography

Alexandros Papadopoulos apapadop at cmu.edu
Mon Sep 22 15:36:28 EDT 2003

On Monday 22 September 2003 15:16, DL Shepherd wrote:
> Environment: I have Red Hat 8 running on a Dell laptop.
>
> I have just entered the arena of digital photography.  I just
> purchased a Sony-MVC-500.
>
> I have several questions about other folks' experiences.
>
> What printer works best for printing pictures?  What paper should be
> used? I am using GIMP.

I can suggest stuff for some of your questions.

http://gimp-savvy.com/BOOK/

> Are there any tools or best practices on how to keep
> my images organized? I was thinking of purchasing an external drive
> with more capacity to store more images online.  My laptop has a USB
> connection.  Suggestions on what drives to buy?

If it's plain old USB, it's too slow to use. Get a USB2 PCMCIA card and
an external HDD bay, then stick any HDD in there.

> How about a CD Burner to store all of my edited images offline.  Any
> suggestions?
>
> The camera can also take MPEG videos.  What can I use on my Linux
> laptop to view and edit MPEG?

Viewing and (very) limited editing can be done with mplayer/mencoder.
http://mplayerhq.hu for details.

-A
--
http://andrew.cmu.edu/~apapadop/pub_key.asc
3DAD 8435 DB52 F17B 640F  D78C 8260 0CC1 0B75 8265