[wplug] 2 Questions Please

Vanco, Don don.vanco at agilysys.com
Wed Nov 26 07:53:02 EST 2003

Comments assume this system is fully updated....

Weber, Larry A [laweber at switch.com] wrote:
> 1.  I have a PC running RH8 - Gnome.  I would like to see if
> I can access
> the printers on the company's Windows network.  When I select System
> Settings - Printing, I am prompted for the root password.
> After entering
> it, an empty window flashes open and then closes.  Repeated
> attempt do the
> same thing.  Any ideas how to go about configuring RH8 for a network
> printer (post script of course).  No local printers have been
> installed.

"redhat-config-printer" run this from a (root) terminal and you'll at least
see errors as they occur....

> 2. I would like to edit the Gnome desktop menus.
> Specifically I need to
> delete some menu items. How is this done?  I have tried
> removing menu items
> in the desktop enviroment but that does not work.  I assume
> there must be
> system files somewhere that list the menu items.

much can be done via right click, but if you want to manually edit contents
this has been discussed at length in the forums over at RH, I'd suggest a
search there.

Don