[wplug] ISPs, floppy, shebang and man questions

Bob Schmertz rschmertz at speakeasy.net
Tue May 13 10:14:12 EDT 2003

On Tue, 13 May 2003, Amy D wrote:

>Thanks for the response, Bob. (especially for cc'ing my inbox. makes it
>easier to reply that way. I just get the digest sent here as I can't
quite
>handle the traffic individual email would create.)

I never thought of that reason for cc'ing; nince to know a new one!  I
like people to cc me messages because some of the mailers I use flag the
headers if my name is in one of the recipient lists; also, the message
that is cc'ed to me is about 1k smaller, which becomes more important
since I'm likely to save such a message permanently.

>>How are you trying to run the script?  What is the output?  The first
>>shebang thing you mentioned was #!bin/perl, which can't be right
because
>>you didn't put the leading slash before bin.  On Red Hat, perl goes in
>>/usr/bin (at least it used to; I'm not really using it anymore), so
>>#!/usr/bin/perl should work.
>>

>I think I just left the / out when typing this post. I think it was in
>the file - can't tell from here (will have to restart with linux...
>Same for the output. Something along the lines of incomplete header,
>but I'll get the exact wording when I go back in.

I thought that might have been just a typo in the email -- just got too
busy to mention it :-) Anyway, did you get yourself set up with a FAT32
partition on one of your hard drives?  This would be a possibly easier
way to share data between the two OSes.

>>Most should work for dialup, but I'm not local, so I can't recommend
any
>>(well, Verizon does work with Linux, I know that).  The more important
>>question is what kind of modem you have.  Did you get yourself a
>>USRobotics external modem to play it safe, or do you have what came
with
>>the computer?  Not all modems work with Linux.
>>

>When I bought the computer (Jan 2000) I bought a (reading the box) 3Com
>US Robotics 56K Winmodem(internal). Windows didn't recognize it,
>though, so I took that out and bought a Viking Internal 56K.

Surprised the USR modem didn't work for Windows.  Did you try installing
it as a generic Hayes-compatible modem or something like that (it's
actually been quite a while since I've dealt with anything like this)?

>That
>>wiill depend on which desktop you are using.
>
>How do I tell which?

I'm referring to whether you are using KDE or GNOME.  Umm.... actually,
I'm not sure how to tell; apparently they became harder to tell apart as
of RH8.  Maybe someone else can help out here, or maybe I can try to
check tomorrow at work -- not sure if KDE is installed on the one RH8
box I have access to, though.

--
Cheers,
Bob Schmertz