[wplug] ISPs, floppy, shebang and man questions

Amy D crosstuner at hotmail.com
Tue May 13 08:03:27 EDT 2003

Thanks for the response, Bob. (especially for cc'ing my inbox. makes it
easier to reply that way. I just get the digest sent here as I can't quite
handle the traffic individual email would create.)

>How are you trying to run the script?  What is the output?  The first
>shebang thing you mentioned was #!bin/perl, which can't be right because
>you didn't put the leading slash before bin.  On Red Hat, perl goes in
>/usr/bin (at least it used to; I'm not really using it anymore), so
>#!/usr/bin/perl should work.

I think I just left the / out when typing this post. I think it was in the
file - can't tell from here (will have to restart with linux... Same for the
output. Something along the lines of incomplete header, but I'll get the
exact wording when I go back in.

>Most should work for dialup, but I'm not local, so I can't recommend any
>(well, Verizon does work with Linux, I know that).  The more important
>question is what kind of modem you have.  Did you get yourself a
>USRobotics external modem to play it safe, or do you have what came with
>the computer?  Not all modems work with Linux.

When I bought the computer (Jan 2000) I bought a (reading the box) 3Com US
Robotics 56K Winmodem(internal). Windows didn't recognize it, though, so I
took that out and bought a Viking Internal 56K. There was no modem that came
with the computer, as a friend and I just went to the expo and he directed
me in choosing different components from different vendors. That was fun,
plus putting it together!

>I'm surprised you can't get it immediately from your desktop.

me too! I thought I'd either find it, or a menu item to send stuff there
without too much trouble.

That
>wiill depend on which desktop you are using.

How do I tell which?

The following should
>always work, though:
>
>mount /mnt/floppy