[wplug] FW: Camcorder

Wise, Jeremey WISEJ at PIOS.com
Tue Mar 11 12:51:14 EST 2003

I am sending this again as it never showed up. Assume Lookout sucks are /
cause.

Jeremey Wise (440)-519-6006
(CNE,MCSE,CSE)
Pioneer-Standard Electronics, Inc

-----Original Message-----
From: Wise, Jeremey
Sent: Tuesday, March 11, 2003 8:42 AM
To: 'wplug at wplug.org'
Subject: Camcorder

Anyone have any experience with ripping media off of Camcorders. I have to
get both a Cannon 45mx(USB) and a 40mx(Fire wire) working with Linux(not the
same system). I installed RH8.0 and am not finding much in the way of easy
install. I realize that Camcorder technologies are bleeding edge for Linux
but I need to find a way!!!!!! I hate to concede that Windows is the only
way. I actually pursued running their app under wine but it isn't working as
it has to have the /dev/???? Emulated through Wine and it not working.

I have loaded Dvgrab and have it installed. When I do and lsmod I get
back:(pardon details as this is from memory as my Ameriheck line is
down....again):

raw1384
USB??? ->Raw1384

(It is like the USB camcorder is being relinked to /dev/raw1384)

All I know is that dvgrab as highly rated as it is, has some really
piss-poor documentation. How do you redirect the device it pulls from. How
do you detect what devices the kernel is seeing on a USB hub / Firewire
card? I messed around in proc and came up with squat.

wisej at pios.com <mailto:wisej at pios.com>