[wplug] OpenOffice, StarOffice

Lance Tost ltost at pobox.com
Fri Jul 18 11:13:37 EDT 2003

On Fri, 18 Jul 2003, John Harrold wrote:
> in my opinion, society :). they're the ones who allowed ms to become the
> defacto standard. microsoft simply provides the crack, their customers
> choose to smoke it. sure some people have smoke it to 'fit in', but it was
> poor forward thinking that led us to where we are today.

That wasn't what I was getting at.  What I meant was I don't think OO does
such a bad job of exporting to MS format since Word 2003 Beta did a much
better job of opening it than Word 2000... maybe Word 2000 is what is
flawed here is what I'm saying.

> personally i think oo is buggy, slow, and unstable. i'm not quite sure who

Could be something else going on in your system... I've never had problems
with it.

> i've suggested oo to people and have had most of them come back an complain
> about it crashing. after it crashes, i've had to delete the .oo directory
> in their home directory or it wont start again. configuring printers is a

Nope, never had to do this.

> pain in the ars. why should each user have to configure printers? why can i

I agree on this point..

> with cups or lprng, but that's just my opinion. to be truly offended, look
> at the fonts in their admin program:

Fonts in my printer admin window look just fine.  This might have
something to do with the X fonts that you have installed (or don't have
installed).

--
Lance Tost <ltost at pobox.com>