[wplug] OpenOffice, StarOffice

John Harrold jmh17 at pitt.edu
Fri Jul 18 11:38:37 EDT 2003

Sometime in July Lance Tost assaulted the keyboard and produced:

| On Fri, 18 Jul 2003, John Harrold wrote:
| > in my opinion, society :). they're the ones who allowed ms to become the
| > defacto standard. microsoft simply provides the crack, their customers
| > choose to smoke it. sure some people have smoke it to 'fit in', but it was
| > poor forward thinking that led us to where we are today.
|
| That wasn't what I was getting at.  What I meant was I don't think OO does
| such a bad job of exporting to MS format since Word 2003 Beta did a much
| better job of opening it than Word 2000... maybe Word 2000 is what is
| flawed here is what I'm saying.

if word 2000 cannot open it's own documents correctly, then perhaps it's
flawed. if word 2000 cannot open documents written by a third party, then i
don't think that much can be attributed to word. i really think it's a poor
understanding of the doc file format and the result of reverse enginnering.

| > personally i think oo is buggy, slow, and unstable. i'm not quite sure who
|
| Could be something else going on in your system... I've never had problems
| with it.

possibly, but i've tried it on my dual celron 400 at home which i built
myself. for the most part that computer is fairly stable. i've also tried
it on a few computers from penguin computing at work. most of those were
amd k7 700's, or something similar and are quite reliable. i've also
spoken with other people who have had similar expirences.

| Fonts in my printer admin window look just fine.  This might have
| something to do with the X fonts that you have installed (or don't have
| installed).

it was the stock redhat 9 install with updates.

                                               | /"\
 john harrold                                  | \ / ASCII ribbon campaign
      jmh at member.fsf.org                    |  X  against HTML mail
           the most useful idiot               | / \
 What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless,
 whether the mad destruction is brought under the name of totalitarianism or
 the holy name of liberty and democracy?
 --Gandhi
gpg --keyserver keys.indymedia.org --recv-key F65A739E