[wplug] Performance Anxiety

Vanco, Donald VANCOD at PIOS.com
Sun Jul 13 20:24:26 EDT 2003

be that it gets speedier after a time.

Don

-----Original Message-----
From: Pete Butler [mailto:pmbutler at comcast.net]
Sent: Sun 7/13/2003 2:02 PM
To: wplug at wplug.org
Subject: [wplug] Performance Anxiety

Hello.

I attended the InstallFest yesterday (thanks to everyone who helped my wife
and I!) and got Red Hat 9 installed on my laptop (an IBM Thinkpad
390X).  I've been playing around with it a bit today, and I've discovered
that it's dirt slow.

The machine uses a 500 MHz Pentium III with 256 Megs RAM, and it runs Win2K
just fine (dual boot).  But under Linux, it chugs mightily, and all but the
simplest applications are crash-prone.

This makes me suspect something is misconfigured.  But before I start
blundering blindly though config files, I figured I'd post the question
here:

If your machine were exhibiting this kind of behavior, where would you
start investigating?

Thanks in advance,
-- Pete Butler