[wplug] runlevel question

James O'Kane jo2y at midnightlinux.com
Wed Jan 15 18:07:48 EST 2003

On 10 Jan 2003, Doug Green wrote:

> Ah Ha! :) This answers my question! I use the machine at work using a
> graphical interface, but log out before I go home. Aside from my own
> use, the machine is also used to share files with my lab group (who all
> use macs). Upon logout/login, I know that the xserver restarts so my
> concern was that the whole init for runlevel 5 would restart.Since
> atalkd supposedly does not like to be restarted, I was wondering if I
> should move it to runlevel 3. All is clear now... no changes needed in
> my configuration :) Thanks!
> Doug

Since you said this is a Red Hat machine, I can point out a Red Hat
specific tool.

/sbin/chkconfig
Useful options are:
chkconfig --list shows which services are enabled at what level.
chkconfig <service> off   turns the services off.

Runlevels are a matter of debate between BSD-style and SysV-style systems.
I always forget which is which and which one linux is, but one jumps
straight from one level to the other and stops services that shouldn't be
running and starts ones that aren't but should be. (This is linux)
The other starts in runlevel 0, and starts everything listed in runlevel
1, then starts everything listed in runlevel 2, and then everything in
runlevel 3, etc. So on this type of system, which I think HPUX is one, if
you list something in runlevel 2 and in runlevel 3, it will be started
twice.

People might find this related article interesting.
http://markdude.members.wplug.org/LDP/HOWTO/From-PowerUp-To-Bash-Prompt-HOWTO.html

-james