[wplug] runlevel question

Hagbard Celine hceline at softhome.net
Wed Jan 15 19:53:30 EST 2003

> Runlevels are a matter of debate between BSD-style and SysV-style systems.
> I always forget which is which and which one linux is, but one jumps
> straight from one level to the other and stops services that shouldn't be
> running and starts ones that aren't but should be. (This is linux)
> The other starts in runlevel 0, and starts everything listed in runlevel
> 1, then starts everything listed in runlevel 2, and then everything in
> runlevel 3, etc. So on this type of system, which I think HPUX is one, if
> you list something in runlevel 2 and in runlevel 3, it will be started
> twice.

Oh!  So now I understand where this concept of run *level* comes from.  I had
always wondered about this, because Linux's init, which is the only one I
know, doesn't look at all heirarchical (Linux's init is SysV-style, by the
way).  I had wondered if some other flavor of init had a heirarchy, and Viola!
There it is!

I love the smell of learning something new in the morning... :o)

Hagbard