[wplug] Router issue

Doug Green green at np.awing.upmc.edu
Fri Jan 10 12:20:22 EST 2003

Hi-
I have a similar situation at work, where my router has a different IP
than my computer (that's how they account for the ports here). I am
using an SMP Barricade, and in the configuration of the router you can
assign it a WAN IP and a LAN IP. You can also configure the DNS info,
routing tables, services, etc in there. Maybe your router is different,
but it was pretty straightforward on the SMP.

I have a question for the group on this one: what is the advantage of
assigning your computer an IP if you have a router? Why not just DHCP
serve your LAN? Is there some advantage (like more bandwidth or
something)?
Doug

Doug Green <green at np.awing.upmc.edu>