[wplug] Router issue

John Harrold jmh17 at pitt.edu
Fri Jan 10 14:20:01 EST 2003

Sometime in January Doug Green assaulted the keyboard and produced:

| Hi-
| I have a similar situation at work, where my router has a different IP
| than my computer (that's how they account for the ports here). I am
| using an SMP Barricade, and in the configuration of the router you can
| assign it a WAN IP and a LAN IP. You can also configure the DNS info,
| routing tables, services, etc in there. Maybe your router is different,
| but it was pretty straightforward on the SMP.
|
| I have a question for the group on this one: what is the advantage of
| assigning your computer an IP if you have a router? Why not just DHCP
| serve your LAN? Is there some advantage (like more bandwidth or
| something)?
| Doug

i think the reason they are doing this is:

| (that's how they account for the ports here)

i assume they charge you for each port? we have a router and a lot of
computers behind it. the cis folks decided they needed more money, so they
tried to take away our firewalls (school of engineering). this way each
computer would plug into one of their ports and they could charge us for
each ip used.

i might be wrong, but i don't see any other benefits to making each
computer have an ip on a nonprivate network.

john harrold               | "They that can give up essential
     jmh17+maps at pitt.edu   |  liberty to obtain a little
/"\                        |  temporary safety deserve neither
\ / ASCII ribbon campaign  |  liberty nor safety."
 X  against HTML mail      |
/ \                        |  Benjamin Franklin
gpg --keyserver keys.indymedia.org --recv-key F65A739E
google is everything to everybody