[wplug] suse

Vanco, Donald VANCOD at PIOS.com
Wed Feb 5 12:34:39 EST 2003

Coutch, Robert wrote:
> The reason I pay for a distro can be summed up in one "word".
>
> 56K
	Yes - that's where CheapBytes and their ilk really come in handy.
Or if you're like me and you have the bandwidth, but it's just not stable
due to the folks managing it.

> Sometime it's nice to have a box with books and they even throw in
> some stickers
> (SuSE even puts a lapel pin in the box). That's gotta be worth $40
> right there !!!
	Occasionally there a coupon for training and stuff like that as
well.  It's not that boxed sets are bad - just not a must.

> After reading some of the RedHat posts and linked articles,
> I'm full of FUD about using RedHat as a desktop OS.
	But that's the beauty of a free OS - you can try it for yourself and
see if the FUD is founded in reality or envy or ignorance.
	Check out Gentoo and Knoppix - both are very cool.  While I haven't
looked at it in a while ELX was looking good too - and I see they just spit
out a slew of new releases.  http://www.distrowatch.com/
	While it's not free, Lindows is great for those looking for no
hassle Linux.  All cracks aside, it's the first distro to ever get my laptop
WinModem functional and 3D acceleration turned on for my ATI video card with
zero additional intervention from me - and it's only a year old distro.

Don