[wplug] Laptops

Nikhil Patel nxp131 at psu.edu
Tue Feb 4 10:17:01 EST 2003

Henry,
  I have had a lot of laptop experience w/ linux and laptops, and by that I mean I have spent more than one night banging my head against a wall trying to get linux to run smoothly.  I have installed Linux on 8 laptops including compaq, dell, toshiba...  My advice to you is to goto dell and then click on "refurbished".  This is for two reasons. I have purchased (some months back) a refurbished Inspiron 8200 (P4 at 1.7) w/ 512 MB RAM, 1600x1200 15" display, 64MB Geforce 4 (mobile), 40 GB harddrive...and all the bells and whistles for only $1700.00 because some1 returned it because they didn't like it.  The bonus is that it carries the same warranty a new machine.  Also, there is not a lot of Dell proprietary hardware, so that linux drivers will already be out there.  Linux install went smoothly on my laptop and I don't have any complaints.  Also, if it doesnt work out for you, you have a 14 day window in which to return the machine for a full refund.    Anyway...here is my two cents for what it is worth.

Best of Luck,
Nikhil