[wplug] CMU installfest this Friday 7th Feb

Jeremy Dinsel jeremy at gunix.net
Tue Feb 4 11:55:25 EST 2003

: Date: Mon, 03 Feb 2003 15:57:24 -0500
: From: Russ Schneider <russpgh at stargate.net>
: To: wplug at wplug.org
: Subject: Re: [wplug] CMU installfest this Friday 7th Feb
:
: bgtrio at yahoo.com wrote:
:
: >6,0?  Dunno.  7.0 was buggy.  8.0 has worked beautifully for me.  What
: >sort of problems have you had with it?
: >
: >Bryon
: >
:
: Well keep in mind it's running a buttload of domains as a webserver,
: postgres & mysql, etc.  She gets so many hits a day and puts out so much
: bandwidth that it IS quite amazing.  But daemons keep failing, it keeps
: shutting itself down, runaway processes, etc.  It's not my box so I
: can't do anything major with it, I just keep plugging up holes.  I have
: almost a gig of my music (and when I say mine, I mean mine.  legal stuff
: I created) on that box that I get to put there gratis, so I really like
: keeping her up and running.
:
: When it was running 7.3 (I think) we had none of these issues.
:
: Again, just my 2 cents, but I've heard others bitch about it too.
:

What exactly quantifies a "buttload" of domains? At a previous
employeer, we had been serving literally thousands of domains off a
redhat (and then debian) linux box for years without any problems save
the occassional disk error. If I still worked there, I'd get you some
better numbers.

A box with runaway processes and a thing for shutting itself off is not
a functional system. With those symptoms, there's probably something wrong
with your hardware.

-j