[wplug] RE: internet access

a D crosstuner at hotmail.com
Sat Dec 13 15:59:44 EST 2003

Thanks Eric, (thanks to John and more response at bottom.)
that first link was 404 - I rooted around the second a bit, but no dice so
far.
typing in "redhat-config-network &" yeilded the following.

[root at localhost root]# traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/sbin/redhat-config-network", line 100, in ?
File "/usr/sbin/../share/redhat-config-network/netconfig/gui/__init__.py",
line 30 in ?
exec cmd
File "<string>", line 1, in ?
File
"/usr/sbin/../share/redhat-config-network/netconfpkg/gui/ADSLInterface.py",
line 20, in ?
from hetconfipkg.gui.GUI_functions.mport*
File
"/usr/sbin/../share/redhat-config-network/retconfpkg/gui/GUI_functions.py",
line 2 in ?
inport gtk
FIle "/usr/share/redhat-config-network/retconfpkg/__init__.py", line 19, in
?
RuntimeError: could not open display

This is all hand typed from my hand-written copy of what came up on the
screen. I'm trying to get plugged in from the linux side so I can have more
direct access to the resources out there, but for now I'm just at that
miserable beginning place (not yet figured out how to get things onto a disk
or to the printer. no adivce on these things yet please. tried last time
around and only hurt my head. I think getting online comes first.
corrections welcome.)
amy

 >Message: 7 >From: "Eric Peterson" >To: >Subject: RE: [wplug] internet
access >Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 17:12:57 -0800 >Reply-To: wplug at wplug.org > >

In the absence of a super-clear response, open a terminal window and at the
 >$ prompt type "redhat-config-network &"
 >I hope this will help:
 >http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-8.0-Manual/install-guide/s1-net
 >config.html >
 >http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-8.0-Manual/install-guide/ >
 >Good luck! > >-Eric >-----Original Message----- >From:
wplug-admin at wplug.org [mailto:wplug-admin at wplug.org] On Behalf Of a D >Sent:
Friday, December 12, 2003 2:56 PM >To: wplug at wplug.org >Subject: [wplug]
internet access > > >Hi all, >I made an attempt earlier this year at
beginning to look at Linux. I got as >far as installing RH8 and messing
around a tiny bit with Apache, and I >appreciate all the help I got with
these, both on the list and at an >instalfest. >One of the major things that
stopped me (besides lack of background, >initiative, focus...) was that my
isp wouldn't support linux and I wasn't >ready to spring for a better isp.
But now we've moved and have DSL. The tech >guy at the phone company said
the DSL modem we have should work fine, that I >should just open up a
browser and the connection should be there, but it's >not. I know the DSL is
working because I'm doing a dual boot and the *other >OS* has internet
access. >Any advice on what I need to do to configure things so that I can
get >online? I looked at the network configuarion screen and the system had
 >already recognized my ethernet card. If anyone cares to respond, please
 >respon! d as though you're speaking to someone who has no exposure to
Linux >or the more sophisticated sides of computing. I'm still very much at
square >one. >Thanks, >Amy

> > >--__--__-- > >Message: 8 >Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2003 10:37:11 -0500 >From:
>John Harrold >To: wplug at wplug.org >Subject: Re: [wplug] internet access >

> >hey amy, >since you have dsl you'll probably want to use the roaring
>penguin software uniquely named rp-pppoe. it's free and it comes with
>redhat depending on how you installed it. this is their product page:
> >http://www.roaringpenguin.com/products/rp-pppoe/index.php >a quick way to
>check and see if it's installed is to login as root: >$ su -
 > ># don't forget the '-'
># and run: >$ adsl-setup > without more info on your system, i cannot
>really suggest more info. let me know if the info above helps. if it
>doesn't, post your results with more info about your system (distro, isp,
>etc.). >and remember that html email is evil :).

I know John, I'm sorry! I'm trying to set up another email account that also
won't have these annoying ads at the bottom. (plus I want to set it up
without the digest feature so I can stay in the right thread. just waiting
for the request to go through.)
I will probably put off roaring penguin until the basic stuff is working.
Thank you for the link.
I'll try the lines you gave above and see what it says. I know this is way
beyond terminal beginner, but can you tell me what I'm looking for as far as
"info about my system?" The isp is verizon, it comes to the house and hits a
DSL modem from westell called wirespeed, then a D-link router which goes to
our individual computers. (The computer itself is a complete mutt a friend
helped me put together 4 years ago after a shopping trip to the expo mart.
Particular components I should report on?)The distro? oy. ok. I'm looing at
the package (book and CD's I bought from amazon this past summer. Red Hat
Linux 8 unleashed from SAMS, it says on the book, and on the CD's it also
says version 1.0, copyright 2003. I just don't even know the questions to
ask yet. Hummiliation and fear of annoying others would normally have had me
abandoning the idea by now, but I would soooooo much like to not buy another
operating system from the big evil company when the one I have confirms what
everyone tells me about its mahogany handles.
amy