[wplug] internet access

John Harrold jmh17 at pitt.edu
Sat Dec 13 10:37:11 EST 2003

Sometime in December Eric Peterson assaulted the keyboard and produced:

| Hi all,
| I made an attempt earlier this year at beginning to look at Linux. I got as
| far as installing RH8 and messing around a tiny bit with Apache, and I
| appreciate all the help I got with these, both on the list and at an
| instalfest.
| One of the major things that stopped me (besides lack of background,
| initiative, focus...) was that my isp wouldn't support linux and I wasn't
| ready to spring for a better isp. But now we've moved and have DSL. The tech
| guy at the phone company said the DSL modem we have should work fine, that I
| should just open up a browser and the connection should be there, but it's
| not. I know the DSL is working because I'm doing a dual boot and the *other
| OS* has internet access.
| Any advice on what I need to do to configure things so that I can get
| online? I looked at the network configuarion screen and the system had
| already recognized my ethernet card. If anyone cares to respond, please
| respon! d as though you're speaking to someone who has no exposure to Linux
| or the more sophisticated sides of computing. I'm still very much at square
| one.
| Thanks,
| Amy

hey amy,

since you have dsl you'll probably want to use the roaring penguin
software uniquely named rp-pppoe. it's free and it comes with redhat
depending on how you installed it. this is their product page:

http://www.roaringpenguin.com/products/rp-pppoe/index.php

a quick way to check and see if it's installed is to login as root:

$ su -

# don't forget the '-'
# and run:

$ adsl-setup

without more info on your system, i cannot really suggest more info. let me
know if the info above helps. if it doesn't, post your results with more
info about your system (distro, isp, etc.).

and remember that html email is evil :).

                                               | /"\
 john harrold                                  | \ / ASCII ribbon campaign
      jmh at member.fsf.org                    |  X  against HTML mail
           the most useful idiot               | / \
 What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless,
 whether the mad destruction is brought under the name of totalitarianism or
 the holy name of liberty and democracy?
 --Gandhi
gpg --keyserver keys.indymedia.org --recv-key F65A739E