[wplug] running "lean"

John Harrold jmh17 at pitt.edu
Thu Aug 21 11:15:05 EDT 2003

Sometime in August Doug Green assaulted the keyboard and produced:

| I've got Redhat 7.2, default install ("workstation" class) on a Dell
| PIII 450- but I'm not against upgrading to a newer distro. I would like
| to have net access, and I'd like XWindows, but don't need a graphical
| login... beyond that, I do not run (and do not want to run) any servers
| (no sshd, no httpd, telnet, etc). When I start up my computer it goes
| through a very extensive list of things it's turning on- I'd like to
| have that list down to the minimum required for net access and single
| user applications.
| I do not use sshd, and I'm certain there are other services starting up
| that I do not use or need... It seems as though the entire system is
| more bloated and less responsive under linux than under windows, which
| should not be the case. The only thing I can think of is that I have a
| ton of services running that I simply don't need. How are these
| controlled, and is there a list of "nono's" that I shouldn't touch (ie:
| crond, or other essential system services)? If I remember correctly, I
| can start/stop services on a running machine with something like
| "/usr/sbin/services/servicename stop" but I'd like to set it up so that
| these things don't start in the first place.
| -D.

hey doug.

first: i really think you should upgrade. i don't believe redhat supports,
or is about to quit supporing, redhat 7.x and 8.

second: when you say unresponsive are you talking about it serving web
pages slowly, or are you talking about windows are moving around slowly? if
it's the latter you should try a low end windows manager.

                                               | /"\
 john harrold                                  | \ / ASCII ribbon campaign
      jmh at member.fsf.org                    |  X  against HTML mail
           the most useful idiot               | / \
 What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless,
 whether the mad destruction is brought under the name of totalitarianism or
 the holy name of liberty and democracy?
 --Gandhi
gpg --keyserver keys.indymedia.org --recv-key F65A739E