[wplug] running "lean"

Doug Green diego96 at mac.com
Thu Aug 21 11:07:08 EDT 2003

I've got Redhat 7.2, default install ("workstation" class) on a Dell
PIII 450- but I'm not against upgrading to a newer distro. I would like
to have net access, and I'd like XWindows, but don't need a graphical
login... beyond that, I do not run (and do not want to run) any servers
(no sshd, no httpd, telnet, etc). When I start up my computer it goes
through a very extensive list of things it's turning on- I'd like to
have that list down to the minimum required for net access and single
user applications.
I do not use sshd, and I'm certain there are other services starting up
that I do not use or need... It seems as though the entire system is
more bloated and less responsive under linux than under windows, which
should not be the case. The only thing I can think of is that I have a
ton of services running that I simply don't need. How are these
controlled, and is there a list of "nono's" that I shouldn't touch (ie:
crond, or other essential system services)? If I remember correctly, I
can start/stop services on a running machine with something like
"/usr/sbin/services/servicename stop" but I'd like to set it up so that
these things don't start in the first place.
-D.