[wplug] Stargate and Tech Support (semi-humorous)

Russ Schneider russpgh at stargate.net
Wed Aug 13 13:18:45 EDT 2003

Problem: Can't send mail from my Stargate account using my mail client
(Mozilla 1.3.1)

Error: SMTP Server not available or refusing connections.

So...I call good ole Stargate tech support.

###############
StarGate: Hello
SugaPablo: Yes, Im getting the following error concerning your SMTP server...
SG: Ok, what I want you to do is reboot your computer.
SP: Uhm, I'm running Linux right now, so that's not going to be a "magic
fix".
SG: Uhm.....Uhm.....Ok, so you're using Outlook Express?
SP: Uhm, no.  Microsoft doesn't make Outlook for Linux yet.
SG: Uhm.....Uhm.....What mail client are you running?
SP: Mozilla 1.3.1
SG: Do you mean Netscape?
SP: No, I mean Mozilla.
SG: [silence]
################

Later on, their status reported that indeed Stargate customers may have a
problem sending mail through SMTP.

I got a call back 30 minutes later:
################
SG: I called to say that we don't support Mozilla at this time.
SP: So what?  You're having a problem with your SMTP server, my client is
irrelavent here.  What's the ETA on fixing your server?
SG: Dunno.
SP: The NOC is currently working on it?  (Network Operations Center)
SG: Yes.
SP: What's it's priority? (Stargate assigns priorities to problems, ie 1,2,3)
SG: High.
SP: Well thanks (sarcasically).
#################

I wonder if this is related to that new nifty MS worm that was just
released.  Anyways, I used to know people at Stargate and they told me
they stopped hiring techs to do tech support.  They prefer "customer
relations" people whoe are more pleasant, but don't know shit.

No wonder why Stargate is Chapter 11 right now. :)

P.S. I'll be performing LIVE at the Rex Theatre on Carson tonight at
10:30pm if anyone wants to check out my electronica. (shameless plug!)

--
Russ Schneider (a.k.a. Sugapablo)
http://www.sugapablo.com