[wplug] On the road, trying to get connected.

Bryce Lynch bryce at telerama.lm.com
Sat Aug 9 11:32:06 EDT 2003

On Fri, 8 Aug 2003, Alexandros Papadopoulos wrote:

> You mean the DHCP server is connected to the net over PPPoE, or that
> you're trying to connect *to* the DHCP server over PPPoE?

I mean that I don't know what to look for.  I've heard lots of people talk
(and complain) about PPPoE.  They might be using it up here.  If they are
I don't know because I don't know what to look for.  I'm at a loss.

> In the former case, if "standard" dhcp procedures (dhclient eth0) don't
> work, it has probably something to do with the server.

That sounds reasonable.  Watching through a packet sniffer as I run the
DHCP client manually, I can't see any responses come back from any DHCP
servers.

> In the latter case, use adsl-connect, rp-pppoe (www.roaringpenguin.com),
> etc.

Okay.

--
Information security begins with _you_.  Help combat terrorism by encrypting
your communications!  Public key : http://users.telerama.com/~bryce/gpg.key